Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Trying to catch up...on life

It can be so hard to be consistent in life with two small kids. Lovely as they are, they sure can be needy sometimes, can't they?

All joking aside, we have been busy and not really in the best ways. The last few weeks have been filled with colds, snow, shoveling, ice, stomach virus (experienced by the whole family!), getting our vehicles stuck and unstuck, did I mention snow and ice? It really is so beautiful this time of year. The trees have been caked with a wonderful white coating for the last week, like they were all dressed up for a wedding. This last storm (or two) has brought an onslaught of ice, though, that is now covering everything. Earlier this evening I thought it was still raining out until I stepped outside and discovered the sound I thought was rain was actually the ice ridden trees moving and rubbing up against each other. I have not ceased to be amazed at the weather here. And the thing is that the mountain's weather really is quite intensified than the lower elevations (flatlanders, as we found out they are called). When I was talking to a friend who lives in town recently, she said "wow the weather really is a life style for you now isn't it?". And it is. We are at the mercy of nature, the town's road crew, and our own two hand's energy for the day. It is not a bad thing. Just tiring. Remember when I asked for a long winter? Well, it seems that my prayers have been answered!

With being snowed (actually more often iced) in, my creative juices having been flowing. The kids and I have been doing some fun projects and I have been sewing my rear end off any chance I get. My previous sewing machine was broken beyond repair and we were able to get a vintage Singer with cabinet and attachments for $50! It is a 1946 and it runs smoother than any machine I have ever worked on. It only does a straight stitch but it has lots of fun attachments and I am enjoying the challenge of sewing without the zig zag option. Here are a few pics of the beauty.



Here are also two recent projects I did. The first is a pair of pants made out of a Jon Check t-shirt my brother gave me that was too big (thanks, Jas!). They are great bumming around the house pants for Abigail.



This picture of a purse I made. The picture does not do this Goodwill-found-fabric justice. I love it and still have a yard and a half left over for lots of other projects... It's reversible with a red fabric inside and a pocket of the same patterned fabric as this side. As you can see, the colors compliment my coat pretty well. :-)



peace

2 comments:

~liz said...

i'm so impressed, sara! did you follow patterns, or just go with your experience?
the pants are super cute and that bag? i LOVE it! i loved how i picked out your vintage winter coat right away in that photo - something so very familiar knowing you and your family in the cold winter months of pittsburgh. :)
and that machine? good gracious, it's gorgeous. i'm convinced we'll never need anything but a straight stitch and some handy attachments. the original owner kept that thing in mint condition - it's so very beautiful!
i'm trying to finish a pair of lounge pants for me...they're cute! and i'm sewing them out of a vintage sheet from the salvation army!

Sara said...

Thanks, Liz! The pants I made by laying a pair of pants that already fit Abigail on top of the t-shirt to make the "pattern". And the bag is from a tutorial from a blog called Tiny Happy by Melissa http://tinyhappy.typepad.com/tiny_happy/. Thanks for asking because I meant to post that and give her the credit. I also made Abigail a wrap dress from her blog.
The machine really is in mint condition. I don't think it was used hard, although it wasn't neglected. I love and hope we have a long, fruitful relationship!
Oh, and I must confess that my coat is not vintage. I have had so many people say that to me. But it is a Bill Blass that I got at Burlington Coat factory! But I like that it looks vintage.
You should post your pants when you are done. I am interested in the fabric. Salvation army sheets are the best.
peace