Thursday, December 3, 2009

Recipe test #1

I have been looking for a yummy but nutritious but not-too-filling after school snack that my kids won't give me a hard time about eating.  I am looking for a miracle, I know.  Below is the recipe I tried from the Stonyfield Farm yogurt container.  After that is my review and revisions for next time.

Yogurt Cereal Bars

2 cups corn flakes
3/4 cup plus two Tbls all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tps cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine
1 cup Vanilla yogurt
1 egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Combine cereal, 3/4 cup flour, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Cut in margarine until coarse crumbs form.  Press 1/2 mixture firmly into the bottom of a greased 8-inch square pan.  Mix yogurt, egg and 2 Tbls flour into another small bowl.  Spread over cereal mixture in pan; srpinkle with remaining cereal mixture.  Bake for 30 minitues or until golden brown.  Cool in pan on wire rack.  Cut into bars.

Review -
Overall, tasted yummy.  Yogurt and egg mixture made a tasty custard like filling that I liked and wasn't too sweet.  However, not happy with the corn flakes being so chewy instead of slightly crunchy.  Proportionally, way too much filling to crust-ness.

Changes for next time -
Use 3 or 4 cups of cereal -1-2 cups corn flakes & 2 cups granola
A bit more cinnamon and flour to keep taste a consistency the same
I used butter instead of margarine and I would not increase the amount.  There was too much for the original 2 cups of cereal. 
May consider using less yogurt next time.  The filling really rises and was almost overwhelming.  Need to experiment more with the amount.

Summary -
Tristan ate it up and I did too so definitely good enough to eat as is.  Just could use some tweaking.  Fun, easy, not time consuming recipe to make with kids.  If you try it let know about your experiments.  Enjoy!

Updated edit - This tastes much better cold than warm right out the oven.

No comments: